Rainbow

Rainbow
What do you think when you see this?

Friday, March 3, 2017

Almost the end!

https://www.usedcarweek.biz/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/countdown-hands1.png
I have gone through my life, as well as others, counting down until the end of events. Whether it's the end of a class, the end of a work day, the end of the year, or the end of a phase of one's life. I bet many people, when they were in grade school or high school, counted down the number of days left in school; till school ended. Reflecting on this way of viewing events, I recognize that this may be somewhat pessimistic. Why should we be looking forward to the end of something?



I think that looking toward the end of many things throughout my life has encouraged me to not appreciate the things that are in front of me. With this in mind, it came to me that I need to look at things differently; I cannot simply want things to end. Now there are two ways that I recognized I could change my process of thinking. The first is that I simply change what I am looking forward to. Instead of focusing on something ending, I should focus on something starting; a new beginning. This way I would be positively looking forward at life, wanting something to happen instead of wanting something to end.

The other idea I came up with is that I could try to find the things I like about an event I want to end, and try to reorganize how I think about it so that I don't want it to end. This does not mean that I do not want it to end, but that I am fine if it continued or ended. For example, when spring comes and most teachers and students long for summer, this approach would be so that I am still fine with being in school. I would not want summer any less and I would not wish away the days I have left.

Both of these approaches are hard, but the results will be a more optimistic personality. I want to try both ideas out to see if they work, and if one works better than the other. Now, I also encourage anyone reading this who looks forward to the end of things to try and change the way they look at things. It will be hard, but you wont be alone! Just think, why does it have to be the end, why not a
beginning?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing new ways of thinking about the end of things! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often thought of this concept...the end of things. I wish I didn't think this in School...because time flies so fast. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete